Awards and citations:


1997: Le Prix du Champagne Lanson Noble Cuvée Award for investigations into Champagne for the Millennium investment scams

2001: Le Prix Champagne Lanson Ivory Award for investdrinks.org

2011: Vindic d'Or MMXI – 'Meilleur blog anti-1855'

2011: Robert M. Parker, Jnr: ‘This blogger...’:

2012: Born Digital Wine Awards: No Pay No Jay – best investigative wine story

2012: International Wine Challenge – Personality of the Year Award




Monday 8 March 2010

André Simon Awards 2009 + a warning

The winners of the 2009 André Simon Awards were announced at presentation in the Goring Hotel, Victoria in central London this evening.

Winner of the best wine book 2009 was: Collio by Carla Capalbo, Pallas Athene

Winner of the best food book 2009 was: Forgotten Skills of Cooking by Darina Allen, Kyle Kathie

The special prize was awarded to Richard Wrangham's Catching Fire,  Profile Books

**

Curiously a number of writers received the following message purporting to come from Michael Edwards, who was one of the shortlisted authors for the André Simon Award:

'Hi,

How you doing? I  made a trip to Milan (Italy) unannounced some days back, Unfortunately i got mugged at gun point last night! All cash, Credit card and phones were stolen, i got messed up in another country, stranded in Milan, fortunately my passport was back in my hotel room.  It was a bitter experience and i was hurt on my right hand, but would be fine. I am sending you this message cos i don't want anyone to panic, I want you to keep it that way for now!my return flight leaves in 3 days time but I’m having troubles sorting out the hotel bills, wondering if you could loan me some money to sort out the hotel bills and also take a cab to the airport about (1200.00euro). I have been to the police and embassy here, but they aren't helping issues, I have limited means of getting out of here,I canceled my cards already and made a police report, I won’t get a new card number till I get back home! So I really need your help.
I don't have a phone where i can be reached. please let me know immediately,would definitely refund it to you once I arrive
Hope to hear from you soon
Thanks for your help
Michael.'

This is a scam Michael is in London. Don't reply to the email – delete it.

2 comments:

Bob Rossi said...

Apparently this has become a common scam.

Jim's Loire said...

Thanks Bob. I'd be interested if anyone can explain how it works. Thanks.