Awards and citations:


1997: Le Prix du Champagne Lanson Noble Cuvée Award for investigations into Champagne for the Millennium investment scams

2001: Le Prix Champagne Lanson Ivory Award for investdrinks.org

2011: Vindic d'Or MMXI – 'Meilleur blog anti-1855'

2011: Robert M. Parker, Jnr: ‘This blogger...’:

2012: Born Digital Wine Awards: No Pay No Jay – best investigative wine story

2012: International Wine Challenge – Personality of the Year Award




Wednesday 9 November 2016

New Douro tasting, London 7.11.16 – some photos + brief comments


 Olga Martins, Poeira 


I had planned to spend rather more time than I did at the New Douro than I did as there were lots of interesting still wines and Ports to taste. Unfortunately I got held up dealing with Aaron Timmer Brown's absurd and inaccurate response to my post on his activities in Spain as where he is now known as 'Tim Brown' of Catalunya Wine and Wine.Pop

In the event I only had time to taste a few wines and take a few pics before heading off. Clearly I will have to make do with further detailed research when we are next in Lisbon! In particular at the Adegga Wine Market on Thursday 1st December at the Marriott Hotel.

 

We have enjoyed wines from Poeira in Lisbon having bought a selection at last December's Adegga Wine Market. Like the Niepoort wines these focus on delicacy rather than butch power as some Douro reds do. The 2009 Poeira Impar demonstrated how good these wines are with a little bit of bottle age.     


 Tony Smith of Quinta da Boavista & Tecedeiras 

It was good to meet Tony Smith as although I know some of the Lima Smith Lda wines, in particular Quinta de Covela, I hadn't met him before. Tony and Brazilian businessman Marcelo Lima formed their partnership in 2011. Firstly they acquired Covela before buying Quinta da Boavista in 2013 and Quinta das Tecedieras. In 2014 they bought a share in Burgundian négociant Champy.      



(above and below)

I forget when I first tasted the wines of Quinta da Gaivosa – probably 15 years ago – and I have always enjoyed them. It was particularly interesting to taste their delicate and seductive single varietal Sousão, a red grape I hadn't come across before.     



Quinta da Gaivosa



2014 Vale da Raposa Sousão

Dirk Niepoort – partially at prayer...!


Richard Mayson – our man in the Douro and Alentejo



No comments: